Sexual Assault on college campuses is a growing problem nationwide. RCASA has partnered with Security on Campus to provide prevention programs to local colleges and universities. The following are some statistics on sexual assaults on campus, after reading them you may want to ask yourself, what is your local college or university doing?
- One in 4 college-aged women report experiences that meet the legal definitions of rape or attempted rape.
- One in 5 college women are raped during their college years.
- Most survivors of sexual assaults are full-time students. Approximately one-third of them are first year students between 17-19 years old.
- In survey of 412 college students, it was found that 11.7% of gay or bisexual men and 30.6% of the lesbian or bisexual women indicated that they had been forced to have sex against their will at some point in their lives.
- 81% of women who were stalked by a current or former partner were also physically assaulted by that same partner (US Department of Justice, 1998)
- 80-90% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by individuals known to the survivor.
- 85% of rapes are committed by a person the victim knows.
- In a recent study by the National Institute of Justice, survivors of rape knew their attackers as:
- Fellow classmates (35.5%)
- Friends (34.2%)
- Boyfriends or ex-boyfriends (23.7%)
- Acquaintances (2.6%)
Foubert, J. (2000) The Men’s Program: How to Successfully Lower Men’s Likelihood of Raping. Holmes Beach, FL: Learning Publications, Inc.
Karjane, H.K., Fisher, B.S., and Cullen F.T. (2002) Campus Sexual Assault: How America’s Institutions of Higher Education Respond. Final Report, NIJ Grant #1999-WA-VX-0008. Newton, MA: Education Development Center, Inc.
Ottens, A.J. and Hotelling, K. (2001) Sexual Violence On Campus: Policies, Programs, and Perspectives. New York: Springer Publishing Company, Inc.
Grants to Reduce Violent Crimes Against Women on Campus 2002. US Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Violence Against Women Office. The Sexual Victimization of College Women-Bonnie S. Fisher, Francis T. Cullen, Michael G. Turner. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2000. www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/182369.pdf