RCASA is trying to win funds to implement a sexual assault prevention program for teens. An issue RCASA is deeply committed to ending in our community and across the globe. Our reach is limited of course, but we realize the end of violence in one community means the potential for is elimination in all communities.
Here are some statistics:
– By the time they are in high school, 54% of students report dating violence among their peers.
– About one in 11 teens reports being a victim of physical dating violence each year.
– About one in four teens reports verbal, physical, emotional, or sexual violence each year.
– About one in five high school girls has been physically or sexually abused by a dating partner.
– About one in five teens reports being a victim of emotional abuse.
What are the effects of this violence?
– About 70% of girls and 52% of boys who are victims of dating violence report an injury from a violent relationship.
– Approximately 8% of boys and 9% of girls have been to an emergency room for an injury received from a dating partner.
– Adolescents who are victims of dating violence not only are at increased risk for injury, but are also more likely to report binge drinking, suicide attempts, physical fighting, and sexual activity.
– Rates of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use are more than twice as high in girls who report physical dating violence or sexual abuse than in girls who report no violence.
Here is an outline of our idea:
Primary prevention, before violence has occurred, will ensure dramatically fewer incidents of sexual assault. Increasing prevention services will ultimately result in a reduction of violence, therefore less money will be needed for intervention services for mental and physical health issues related to sexual assault.
So we need your support by voting for our idea on the Pepsi Refresh Project website. There are numerous ways you can vote, you can click on this link and vote on their website or you can text your vote Text 105350 to Pepsi (73774) (*Standard text messaging rates apply.).
Pepsi will award grants to the top 10 vote-getters…
So please vote, and tell all of your friends to vote too!!!! (you can post links to our idea and voting page on your facebook and Twitter accounts)
*Voting ends January 31st.See More
Please vote (and keep voting every day)